Linking three dominan factors namely psychological empowerment, innovative work behavior, and intrinsic motivation, this study developed and examined the relationship among them with a mediating factor. Using questionnaire survey from Higher Education Institutions, the study found that pyschological empowerment significantly affect innovative work behavior. In addition, Intrinsic motivation, as anticipated in the study also affect innovative work behavior. Finally, as an intervening variabel, intrinsic motivation enhance the relationship between psychological empowerment and innovative work behavior.
- Amabile, T. M. 1983. The social psychology of creativity: A componential conceptualization. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 45: 357–376.
- Amabile, T. M., Conti, R., Coon, H., Lazenby, J., & Herron, M. 1996. Assessing the work environment for creativity. Academy of Management Journal, 39(5), 1154–1184.
- Anderson, J. C., & Gerbing, D. W. 1988. Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two step approach. Psychological Bulletin, 103: 411–423.
- Brislin, R. W. 1980. Translation and content analysis of oral and written materials. In H. C. Triandis & J. W. Berry (Eds.), Handbook of cross-cultural psychology (pp. 389–444). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. 1991. A motivational approach to self: Integration in personality. In R. Dienstbier (Ed.), Nebraska symposium on motivation, vol. 38: 237–288. Lincoln: University of Ne- braska Press. Nebraska
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. 2000. The ‘what’ and ‘why’ of goal pursuits: human needs and the self-determination of behavior. Psychological Inquiry, 11, 227–268.
- Ferrari A., Cachia, R., & Punie Yves. 2009. Innovation and Creativity in Education and Training in the EU Member States: Fostering Creative
- Learning and Supporting Innovative Teaching. JRC Technical Notes. European Commission Joint Research Centre Institute for Prospective Technological Studies.
- Fuller, J. B., Marler, L. E., & Hester, K. 2006. Promoting felt responsibility for constructive change and proactive behavior: Exploring aspects of an elaborated model of work design. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 27(8), 1089–1120.
- Janssen, O., Van de Vliert, E., & West, M. 2004. The bright and dark sides of individual and group innovation: A special issue introduction. Journal of Organiza- tional Behavior, 25: 129–145.
- Janssen, O. (2000). Job demands, perceptions of effort-reward fairness and innovative work behavior. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 73(3), 287–302.
- Gilson, L. L., & Shalley, C. E. 2004. A little creativity goes a long way: An examination of teams’ engagement in creative processes. Journal of Management, 30: 453– 470.
- Grant, A. 2008. Does intrinsic motivation fuel the prosocial fire? Motivational synergy in predicting persistence, performance, and productivity. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93(1), 48–58.
- Hair, J. F., W.C. Black, B.J. Babin, dan R.E. Anderson. 2010. Multivariate Data Analysis. 7th. New Jersey: Pearson Educational, Inc.
- Munton, A. G., & West, M. A. 1995. Innovations and personal change: Patterns of adjustment to relocation. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 16(4), 363–375.
- Oldham, G. R., & Cummings, A. 1996. Employee creativity: Personal and contextual factors at work. Academy of Management Journal, 39: 607–634.
- Thomas, K. W., & Velthouse, B. A. 1990. Cognitive elements of empowerment: An “interpretive” model of intrinsic task motivation. Academy of Management Review, 15: 666–681.
- Tu, Y. D., & Lu, X. X. 2013. How ethical leadership influence employees’ innovative work behavior: A perspective of intrinsic motivation: Erratum. Journal of Business Ethics, 116(2), 457
- Yuan, F., & Woodman, W, R. 2010. Innovative Behavior in the Workplace: The Role of Performance and Image Outcome Expectations. Academy of Management Journal.
- Shalley, C. E., Zhou, J., & Oldham, G. R. 2004. The effects of personal and contextual characteristics on creativity: Where should we go from here? Journal of Management, 30: 933–958.
- Spreitzer, G. M. 1995. Individual empowerment in the workplace: Dimensions, measurement,validation. Academy of Management Journal, 38: 1442–1465.
- Spreitzer, G. M. 1996. Social structural characteristics of psychological empowerment. Academy of Management Journal, 39: 483–505.
- West, M.A. and Farr, J.L. 1989. Innovation at Work: Psychological Perspectives. Social Behavior, 4, 15-30.
- Woodman, R. W., Sawyer, J. E., & Griffin, R. W. 1993. Toward a theory of organizational creativity. Academy of Management Review, 18: 293–321.
- Zhou, J., & Shalley, C. E. 2003. Research on employee creativity: A critical review and directions for future research. In J. Martocchio
- (Ed.), Research in personnel and human resource management: 165–217. Oxford, U.K.: Elsevier.
- Zhang, Xiaomeng., & Bartol. Kathryn M. 2017. Linking Empowering Leadership and Employee Creativity: The Influence of Psychological Empowerment, Intrinsic Motivation, and Creative Process Engagement. Academy of Management Journal.53(1).