The construction industry plays a significant role in the country, while project delays cause various problems. Regarding that, communication is very influential on the project performance, especially time performance. This study aims to identify the factors that affect project communications, identify the effect of project communications management on project time performance, and analyze project communications management strategies for improving time performance. The calculation of the Relative Importance Index was carried out to determine the factors that affect project communications. Meanwhile, a simple linear regression analysis was carried out to find out the magnitude of the effect of project communications management on project time performance. The project communications management strategy was obtained by mapping stakeholders using the power/interest grid method. The data was collected based on observations and the results of questionnaires filled out by 38 respondents, consisting of the owner, supervisor consultant, and contractor on the design-build project used as a case study. The results showed the top 10 factors influencing project communications with the highest Relative Importance Index value. The simple linear regression analysis result showed that project communications management has a positive and significant effect on project time performance with a coefficient of determination value of 69.6%. The suggested project communications management strategy is to optimize the application of the main factors of project communications, tailored to the result of the power/interest grid for each project stakeholder.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Aartsengel, A. v., & Kurtoglu, S. (2013). Handbook on Continuous Improvement Transformation: The Lean Six Sigma Framework and Systematic Methodology for Implementation. Germany: Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-35901-9
- Ames, H., Glenton, C., & Lewin, S. (2019). Purposive Sampling in a Qualitative Evidence Synthesis: A Worked Example from a Synthesis on Parental Perceptions of Vaccination Communication. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 1-9. doi:10.1186/s12874-019-0665-4
- Chen, T., & Wu, F. (2010). Explore Critical Factors for Partnering in the Taiwanese Construction Industry. Proceedings of the 2010 Int. Conf. on Engineering, Project and Production Management, (pp. 234-242).
- Chicco, D., Warrens, M. J., & Jurman, G. (2021). The coefficient of determination R-squared is more informative than SMAPE, MAE, MAPE, MSE and RMSE in regression analysis evaluation. (Y. Shang, Ed.) PeerJ. Computer science, 7, 1-24. doi:10.7717/peerj-cs.623
- Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2018). Research Methods in Education (8th ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Dos Muchangos, L. S., Tokai, A., & Hanashima, A. (2017, December). Stakeholder analysis and social network analysis to evaluate the stakeholders of a MSWM system – A pilot study of Maputo City. Environmental Development, 24, 124-135. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envdev.2017.04.005.
- Gilang G. & Kenzu T. (2022, September 6). Widodo seeks completion of all national projects before 2024. (F. Assegaf, Editor) Retrieved from en.antaranews.com: https://en.antaranews.com/news/248297/widodo-seeks-completion-of-all-national-projects-before-2024
- Heriyanto, M., & Ihsan, N. (2022, August 10). Government ensures timely, on-target development of 13 new PSNs. (F. Assegaf, Editor) Retrieved from en.antaranews.com: https://en.antaranews.com/news/243669/government-ensures-timely-on-target-development-of-13-new-psns
- Hussain, M. A., Othman, A. A., Gabr, H. S., & Aziz, T. A. (2018). Causes and Impacts of Poor Communication in the Construction Industry. 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Construction and Project Management – Sustainable Infrastructure and Transportation for future Cities, (pp. 1-11). Aswan, Egypt.
- Kerzner, H. (2009). Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling (8th ed.). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Kin, K., Oki, O., & Rai, R. (2020, October). Impact of Computer Anxiety on Computer Self Efficacy. IAIC Transactions on Sustainable Digital Innovation (ITSDI), 2(1), 69-74. doi:10.34306/itsdi.v2i1.354
- Marleno, R., Surjokusumo, S., Oetomo, W., Setiawan, M. I., & Abdullah, D. (2018). The Influence of Stakeholder Factors Affecting the Success of Construction Projects In Indonesia. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1114, 1-14. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/1114/1/012135
- Nursin, A., Latif, Y., Mochtar, K., & Soeparto, H. G. (2018). Cross-Party Collaboration to Reduce Construction Waste to Design-Build Projects. International Journal of Technology, 9(4), 751-765. doi:10.14716/ijtech.v9i4.1819
- Obonadhuze, B. I., Eze, C. E., Siunoje, L. U., & Sofolahan, O. (2021, January 31). Causes and Effects of Ineffective Communication on Construction Projects. Borneo Journal of Sciences & Technology, 3(1), 77-92. doi:http://doi.org/10.3570/bjost.2021.3.1-11
- Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation. (2022, September 6). President Jokowi Leads Meeting on National Strategic Project Evaluation. Retrieved from Setkab.go.id: https://setkab.go.id/en/president-jokowi-leads-meeting-on-national-strategic-project-evaluation/
- Project Management Institute. (2013). A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide) – Fifth Edition (5th ed.). Newtown Square, Pennsylvania: Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Project Management Institute. (2017). A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide) – Sixth Edition (6th ed.). Newtown Square, Pennsylvania: Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Project Management Institute. (2021). A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide) – Seventh Edition and The Standard for Project Management (7th ed.). Newtown Square, Pennsylvania: Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Rahman, I. A., & Gamil, Y. (2019). Assessment of Cause and Effect Factors of Poor Communication in Construction Industry. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 601, pp. 1-8. IOP Publishing Ltd. doi:10.1088/1757-899X/601/1/012014
- Rauzana, A., & Dharma, W. (2022). Causes of delays in construction projects in the Province of Aceh, Indonesia. PLoS ONE, 17(1), 1-12. doi:10.17632/2wckhrzz5j.1
- Setiawan, A. F., Hansen, S., & Fujiono, A. (2021). Measuring the Influence of Communication Planning towards Construction Project Performance. Civil and Environmental Engineering, 17(1), 58-65. doi:10.2478/cee-2021-0007
- Shad, F., Shah, F. A., Jan, S., & Ahmad, S. (2019). Importance of Communication in Project Management: A Case Study of Communication and Works Department Peshawar. Sarhad Journal of Management Sciences (SJMS), 5(2), 267-280.
- Taherdoost, H. (2019). What Is the Best Response Scale for Survey and Questionnaire Design; Review of Different Lengths of Rating Scale / Attitude Scale / Likert Scale. International Journal of Academic Research in Management (IJARM), 8(1), 1-12.
- Tholibon, D. A., Nujid, M. M., Mokhtar, H., Rahim, J. A., Aziz, N. F., & Tarmizi, A. A. (2021, December). Relative Importance Index (RII) in Ranking the Factors of Employer Satisfaction Towards Industrial Training Students. International Journal of Asian Education, 2(4), 493-503.
- Vaibhava, S., Rao, B. P., Shetty, D. V., & Prakash, C. (2020). Application of earned value method and earned schedule. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1706, 1-6. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/1706/1/012117
- Zulch, B. G. (2014). Communication: The Foundation of Project Management. Procedia Technology, 1000-1009. doi:10.1016/j.protcy.2014.10.054