The most fundamental of unsaturated soil is matric suction parameter. Matric suction in unsaturated soils plays an important role in controlling physical and mechanical properties. This parameter can influence some other important parameters of soil, such as effective stress, shear strength, swelling pressure, etc. Investigation of matric suction was performed on Ayer Hitam soil, at Batu Pahat District, Johor, Malaysia. Field monitoring works were conducted with and without dolomite treatment at the slopes of Ayer Hitam acidic soil. Field testing used some devices to find out the behavior of matric suction during the rainy session. The result shows that the soil matric suction with dolomite treatment is larger than without treatment and matric suction has a significant difference around 20 – 50 kPa. Enhancement of acidity from the dolomite treatment was not only decreasing pores size caused by the alternating of the microstructure of soil but also leading to increasing the matric suction. The treatment of dolomite material is able to control matric suction and increase the stability of slope acidic Ayer Hitam soil.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Al-Swaidani, A., Hammoud, I., & Meziab, A. (2016). Effect of adding natural pozzolana on geotechnical properties of lime-stabilized clayey soil. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 8(5), 714-725.
- Azhar, A. T. S., Azim, M. A. M., Aziman, M., & Nabila, A. T. A. (2016). Leachability of Arsenic (As) Contaminated Landfill Soil Stabilised by Cement and Bagasse Ash. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 160(1) 012078.
- Azhar, A. T. S., Fazlina, M. I. S., Aziman, M., Fairus, Y. M., Azman, K., & Hazreek, Z. A. M. (2016). Preliminary Analysis on Matric Suction for Barren Soil. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 160(1), 012052.
- Chen, Y. (2018). Soil Water Retention Curves Derived as a Function of Soil Dry Density. GeoHazards, 1(1), 3-19.
- Elsharief, A. M., Abdelaziz, O. A. and Dafalla, M. A. (2015). The Influence of Matric Suction on the Shear Strength of Highly Plastic Compacted Swelling Clays. Electronic Journal of geotechnical Engineering, 20(25), 12555-12568.
- Fazlina, M. I. S., Azhar, A. T. S. & Aziman. M. (2018). Design, Operation and Construction of a Large Rainfall Simulator for the Field Study on Acidic Barren Slope. Civil Engineering Journal. Vol. 4(8), 1851-1857.
- Fazlina, M. I. S., Azhar, A. T. S., & Aziman, M. (2019). Evaluating Coefficient of Uniformity for Rainfall Simulation Study. Journal of Applied Geoscience and Built Environment, 1(1), 1-5.
- Ghobadi, M. H., Abdilor, Y., & Babazadeh, R. (2014). Stabilization of clay soils using lime and effect of pH variations on shear strength parameters. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 73(2), 611-619.
- Ismail, M. A. M., Hamzah, N. H., Min, N. S., Abidin, M. H. Z., Tajudin, S. A. A., & Madun, A. (2018). Analysis of Infiltration-Suction Response in Unsaturated Residual Soil Slope in Gelugor, Penang. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 995(1), 012052.
- Lu, N., & Zhang, C. (2019). Soil sorptive potential: Concept, theory, and verification. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 145(4), 04019006.
- Rahman, M. T. (2013). Evaluation of Moisture, Suction Effects and Durability Performance of Lime Stabilized Clayey Subgrade Soils. University of New Mexico: Master Thesis.
- Rosone, M., Farulla, C. A., Ferrari, A., Torta, C., & Celauro, C. (2016). Suction controlled drying and wetting cycle effects on the volumetric behaviour of a lime-treated high plasticity clay. In E3S Web of Conferences, 9, 14020. EDP Sciences.
- Stoltz, G., Cuisinier, O., & Masrouri, F. (2014). Weathering of a lime-treated clayey soil by drying and wetting cycles. Engineering Geology, 181, 281-289.
- Samantasinghar, S. (2014). Geo-engineering properties of lime treated plastic soils. National Institute of Technology Orissa, India: Master’s Thesis.
- Tran, T. D., Cui, Y. J., Tang, A. M., Audiguier, M., & Cojean, R. (2014). Effects of lime treatment on the microstructure and hydraulic conductivity of Héricourt clay. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 6(5), 399-404.
- Zhang, X., Mavroulidou, M., & Gunn, M. J. (2015). Mechanical properties and behaviour of a partially saturated lime-treated, high plasticity clay. Engineering Geology, 193, 320-336.