Water tank is a container used for the storing of liquids and they are classified based on shape and location. The overhead tank is an important and it is very common public utility structure. The study predicts the analysis and design of the rectangular and circular overhead water tank using ETABS software. The water tank is modeled and analyzed by using dynamic analysis to resist lateral loads and design is made using working stress method manually. Dead load, live load, wind load and seismic loads are applied based on IS codes. The behavior of structure for the parameters like Story drift, displacement, stiffness, deflection, storey shear, base shear, area of steel and hoop tension for circular and rectangular water tank are studied and then comparison of the results is made between circular and rectangular overhead water tank. By this study we say that the circular water tank is suitable for larger capacity and rectangular is suitable for smaller capacity and it is economical for larger capacity.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Azgar, M., & Smruthi, N. R. (2017). Design of Circular Water Tank by Using STAAD PRO Software. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology Research, 6(29), 5642-5650.
- Chaduvula, U., Patel, D., & Gopalakrishnan, N. (2013). Fluid-structure-soil interaction effects on seismic behaviour of elevated water tanks. Procedia Engineering, 51, 84-91.
- Dogangun, A., & Livaoglu, R. (2004). Hydrodynamic Pressures Acting on The Walls of Rectangular Fluid Containers. Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 17(2), 203-214, doi: 10.12989/sem.2004.17.2.203.
- Hedge, R., G., Y., & Chawhan, S. (2018). Comparative Study on Rectangular and Circular Water Tank Using STAAD PRO Software. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 5(11), 1319-1323.
- IS 456: 2000, Indian Standard: Code for Plain and Reinforced Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 456: 2000, Indian Standard: Plain and Reinforced Concrete - Code of Practice, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 875 (part 2): 1987, Indian Standard: Code of practice for design loads, Imposed loads, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi..
- IS 1893 (Part 1): 2002, Indian Standard: Criteria for Earthquake Resistance Design of Structures, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Soroushnia, S., Tafreshi, S. T., Omidinasab, F., Beheshtian, N., & Soroushnia, S. (2011). Seismic performance of RC elevated water tanks with frame staging and exhibition damage pattern. Procedia engineering, 14, 3076-3087.
- Thalapathy, M., R.P., V., P., S., V., S., & V.S., S. (2016). Analysis and Economical Design of Water Tanks. International Journal of Innovative Science, Engineering, and Technology, 3(3), 602-607.